Friday, August 22, 2008

Move In Day

If you have ever lived on a college campus, you should be able to understand what I'm talking about. Move In Day on a college campus is one of the most hectic and exciting days in the world. Today, thousands of students are moving into residence halls and apartments. Today is mainly reserved for freshmen move-in. The University Center is filled with excited looking students and anxious looking parents. The parents are probably my favorite part of this day. They are so excited for their children, but you can see that sadness in their eyes as they drop their baby off. As an employee of the university, it's easy to look at this day with disdain as our summer has quickly come to an end. But, this is actually my favorite day of the year. It's a day filled with such hope of the future.

Every year, on this day, I flash back to the day that I moved into my residence hall my freshman year. I was the first child to go away to school, and my mom was a mess! We waited in the lines patiently and were finally allowed to head up to the residence hall. I, as most freshman do, brought way, way too much stuff! The upper classmen can volunteer to help with move-in day. Basically, in exchange for their hard work, they get to move into their apartments and dorms a day early and beat the crowds (it's a pretty good deal!). When I moved in, they were so helpful and all of my stuff made it to my third floor room in one trip. I remember being scared, excited, and hopeful all at once. My roommate Kourtney was very nice, but I soon realized that she was going home that night and I would be all alone for my first night. I laid in bed that night and couldn't sleep. But, that day started my foray into college, and eventually led to my career!

So, basically, Move In Day is great! So, the next time you are out shopping in August and see that mother and daughter or father and son (or whatever) out stocking up in the "College" section of your local Walmart, Target, or Bed, Bath, and Beyond, remember your first day of college, or when you dropped your kids off...I'm sure the memories will come flooding back!

No comments:

Post a Comment