1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Got a promotion. Participated in the madness that is Elf on a Shelf with my crazy three year old.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I actually didn't make any New Years resolutions for 2012--and that's okay. I have a few goals for 2013--not really resolutions.
For 2013 my goals are to:
- Work on a healthier lifestyle for myself and my family. This will include more homecooked meals, lots of meal planning, less fast food, and more working out.
- Really make time with my husband. We have been struggling to connect since our second baby was born in April--we need to find time to have more dates, more alone time, more adult time.
- Work on organizing this tiny house--we hope to put in on the market in early 2014, so we have a lot of home improvement projects and other tasks to complete before them.
- Run a 5K--this goes along with the first item--I have a great group of friends that is teaming up to run a marathon relay--I will not be joining them, but some other friends and I are planning to run the 5K that goes along with that major event.
Yup--that would be me. I'm in the process of writing the birth story of my sweet little Carson--hopefully it will be up soon. He's a sweet little angel and I can't imagine our house without him in it.
In addition to me, one of my best friends had a baby in June. Her little guy is going to be Carson's best friend. It's already been decided!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None outside of the U.S. Travel isn't really in the cards for us at this stage of our life.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn’t have in 2012?
As I said last year, I want more time with my friends and family.
I would really like to have more patience--more patience with everything. Definitely my week point!
7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
April 11--the day Carson was born
July 1--started my new job
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Having a baby--growing a human is serious business, yo.
Getting a promotion and starting a new job--working in the same office with the same people and doing completely new tasks has had it's share of challenges.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Um, probably my lack of patience with my precocious three year old. He is a good kid--he just needs some more boundaries. He has been a rock start with transitions this year (moving to a "big boy" room with a new bed...welcoming a baby brother...finally potty training (still working on the second part of this--what's up with kids and fear of pooping in the potty?)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No--just pregnancy--thankfully that was completely uneventful.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A rock and play sleeper--best $50 I have ever spent--led to significantly improved sleep for us. If only we could get the now almost 9 month old to sleep through the night now.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband--he took over nighttime duty with the baby more times than not so I could devote myself to the daytime stuff with a newborn and a very active preschooler. He lets me buy stupid things and tries all my Pinterest cooking projects.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Oh there are so many--many of our politicians have angered me. People that just spew hate nonstop. Everything that happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School (seriously--I have had a very hard time moving past that--those sweet, sweet babies and those heroic staff members). Most of all, the things that people post on Facebook and think they can get away with saying with no ramifications.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Diapers, milk (how on earth do a grown man and a three year old drink so much freaking milk? I need to buy a cow), random baby stuff.
15. What did you get really excited about?
The birth of our second son. He is a sweet, sweet boy. He completes this crazy family.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
I will have to say freaking "Call Me Maybe" it gets stuck in my head and I can't get it out.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Probably about the same happy.
Well, I was 23 weeks pregnant at this time last year, so hopefully a little thinner!
About the same--still kind of poor!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising. Spending more time with my husband.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
As in 2011, less worrying. I worry about everything CONSTANTLY.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Trying to cram in time with everyone. It was miserable dragging the kids everywhere. We didn't get to spend much time any place and that sucks. But, Jack was so excited about Christmas this year. It was amazing to see the joy in his eyes.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
With Carson. When you are pregnant with your second child, you wonder how you will possibly love that child as much as you love the first. There is always room for that baby. I love him so.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Dexter. Homeland. How I Met Your Mother. Pretty Little Liars (yup, I'm a 14 year old girl). I have reignited my love of Friends. I watch every night before bed. Still cracks me up.
I've been watching Damages on Netflix--love, love, love!
23. What was the best book you read?
I am in the middle of Gone Girl--super good.
Yes, I read all the 50 Shades of Grey books.
Read the Hunger Games trilogy--pretty good.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Listening to Pandora in my car makes my drives so much happier.
25. What did you want and get?
A healthy baby. A new iphone.
26. What did you want and not get?
My husband to get a new job. This is an epic struggle.
27. What was your favorite film of 2012?
I just saw Les Miserables on Friday. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I want to see it again.
I cracked up at Pitch Perfect--stupid funny.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31--and I didn't do anything. I opted for a low key celebration this year.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not much. Probably better financial control.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
Trying to fit into things while pregnant.
31. What kept you sane?
My family, friends, coworkers--and caffeine.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
So many--but my biggest issue is with equal marriage rights for everyone. I am utterly dumfounded that in (nearly) 2013, all of my friends cannot have the same rights to marry that I have. This is the issue that I can get into heated arguments over.
33. Who did you miss?
My grandma--as I welcomed my sweet Carson, it was so devastating to me that she never got to meet him or hold him.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
That we can move past many things in our lives--as long as you have the love of friends and family--anything is possible
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you... 36. Bonus Question: What else will always remind you of 2012?
Pinterest (some epic fails and some great new things).
My sweet baby boy Carson.