Sunday, June 14, 2009

Scary

So, I spent last night at the emergency room with my baby. He started projectile vomiting yesterday and couldn't keep anything down. I knew that wasn't normal, so I called the after hours number for our pediatrician. They decided that it would be best to take him to the ER since he is so little.

We arrived at the ER at Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital at about 11:30 last night. We spent a little over three hours there. We were basically told that they thought Jack might have pyloric stenosis which is a condition where a muscle at the entrance to the stomach grows too much and keeps food from getting into the stomach properly. The doctor tried to do an ultrasound since the radiology people were gone for the evening. He couldn't see what he needed to see, so he decided that we needed to come back in the morning for an ultrasound.

There was no sleep for us when we got home...I was so so worried. You see, if he did have this condition, the only treatment would be surgery. The thought of my baby having surgery was too much for me.

We went to the hospital again today and had the ultrasound. Thankfully it was normal, so we think that baby boy has acid reflux. We will follow up with his pediatrician tomorrow and hopefully he will get some medicine so he isn't throwing up so much.

I guess this is just the beginning of my worrying and freaking out about my baby being sick and hurting. All I know is that I would have done anything last night to make him feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment