Friday, October 24, 2008

Birthday

So, today is my birthday. Today, at 1:19 AM, I officially turned 27. It's kind of a blah birthday, however, I have been thinking back today and realize that birthdays really are about numbers.

1...today is my first birthday as a married woman. I feel so thankful to have a wonderful husband that I know loves me a lot.

2...two years ago, I had one of the best birthday celebrations with my friends...that was the night that my "puke free since 93" streak ended. Thanks to my friend Emily for my new saying "puke nixed since 06"

3...today is my third birthday since my grandpa died. He really was one of my favorite people in the world. I still miss him as much today as I did the day he died. I wish he was here.

3...today is also the third birthday I have spent with Ryan. I never could have imagined that just a couple years later we would be where we are today.

6...six years ago, I finally reached that triumphant age of 21. I can vaguely remember that evening at Shenanigans.

9...nine years ago, I turned 18 and was in my freshman year of college. I remember being so excited to finally be an "adult"

10...ten years ago, I turned 17. It was the first time that I went to the mailbox on my birthday and didn't have a card from my dad. For years after that, I would still go to the mailbox on my birthday at my moms house and close my eyes and take a breath before I would open it...hoping that he would make that little effort again. It hasn't happened.

18...eighteen years ago, I was turning nine and I refused to celebrate my birthday. My beloved grandpa was in the hospital after having a quadruple bypass and wasn't going to be home. I opened no presents, had no cake...refused to acknowledge the day until my Papa could be there.

25...twenty-five years ago, I was turning two. About two months before, my little sister had come home from the hospital. The same time as my birthday, the new baby was baptized. My mom decided to have a joint "Michelle birthday/Jennifer baptism" party. Instead of a birthday cake, I had half a Smurfette birthday cake and half a "congrats on the baptism" cake. I was soooo mad that I proceeded to sit under the kitchen table and just repeat "stupid baby" over and over again. I still call my sister stupid baby to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment