Saturday, October 4, 2008

When it rains, it pours...but in a good way

In August, my husband and I decided to try to buy a house. We weren't sure if we would be able to get a loan or if we would find anything that we liked. But, we did get approved for a loan, and on our first trip out with our Realtor we found a house that we fell in love with. So, we put in an offer, which was accepted. But, one thing after another happened (more of that story later). But, finally, a month after our offer was accepted, we closed on the house. We moved in last weekend. It's a wonderful first home for us and I completely love it. I am still in the process of unpacking and organizing things, but it is coming along!

Before we got married, the hubby and I had the talk about kids. We both knew that we wanted to try to have kids right away. So, right before the wedding, I stopped taking my birth control. So, the first couple months passed with no real excitement. But, last month, I actively tried to determine when I would be ovulating so that we could really, really try. In the week leading up to the day I should have gotten my period, I was EXHAUSTED and emotional. The emotions I chalked up to the fact that I probably had PMS...the exhaustion I decided was from my lengthy work days and the preparations for moving.

This part might start with a bit of TMI for some...On Saturday, I had awful cramps. Which was really abnormal for me...because, well, I don't usually get cramps at all...and if I do, they don't hit until after I start. Here is the TMI cycle is extremely regular. I start at the same time every month...I am never, ever late. I told hubby that I would start by noon on Sunday. He looked at me as if I had two heads or something. He just couldn't comprehend what I was saying. So, Sunday morning...nothing. I spent the day wondering, and hoping. We had to go to his parent's house so he could mow the grass (they had gone to Arizona to visit his sister). Eventually, at about 5PM that night, I finally went to Walgreens and bought a pregnancy test. I didn't actually take the first test until about 8PM that night. I read the directions, peed in a cup (that sounded easier than trying to pee on the stick) and waited. The directions said not to read the results for at least three minutes. I had purchased one of the tests that says "pregnant" or "not pregnant". So, I dipped the stick and tried not to look down. I probably made it about 30 seconds. I looked down, and it already said "pregnant". My hands immediately started shaking. I went downstairs with the test and walked over to my husband. He looked at me and said "Michelle, what's wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost!". I said, "I think I'm pregnant." He said, "Why do you think that?" To which I responded "because this test says I am". He looked at it and said "you took it already? Doesn't it take a while?" He later told me that he really thought pregnancy tests took at least half an hour to give results. We then decided that we would tell our immediate families (for him, his parents and his two sisters, for me, my parents, my sister, and my grandma), but that we would wait to tell anyone else until I had gone to the doctor.

My doctor won't see you until you are at least 8 I am not going to the doctor until October 27...which means we haven't really told anyone...however, I did tell two of my good friends this week. They came over for dinner and kept flat out asking me if I was pregnant. Ryan and I had decided that if someone asked, we would tell them the truth. They were so excited! On Monday, my best friend Lise is coming to town just for one night for work (she lives in stupid Ohio...did you know that the full name of Ohio is Stupid Ohio? Sorry to anyone that lives in Ohio...I am sure it is lovely, but Ohio stole my best friend! I can't like it). I am going to tell her when she comes to town.

I guess that's it for now. I will definitely have much more to share as I progress in my pregnancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment